The Ivy Hall Eating Club
During the first 130 years of Princeton’s history, student dining
options ranged from abominable to nonexistent.
Indeed, after Nassau Hall burned in 1856, the College offered no food
service at all, leaving students to form their own cooperative eating groups,
often colorfully named: Old Hickory, The Autocrats, Sprinklings of Ceres.
National fraternities came to Princeton in the 1840s, and they were
not welcomed by President John Maclean.
James McCosh, who became president of Princeton in 1868, fought the
Greek societies, vowing that they would be abolished or he would resign. McCosh won, and he established a new
refectory as an alternative to the informal eating groups and the local boarding houses that hosted
many of them and accommodated most undergraduates.
The college dining hall, or commons, was the place where a congenial
group from the Class of 1880 had gotten to know each other as freshmen. They returned to commons as sophomores in the
fall of 1877, but their stay was short-lived.
The exact circumstances are shrouded in myth and speculation (some of
which, probably apocryphal, involved airborne chicken croquettes). In any event, the students offended the dignity of the manager to the point where they were asked to leave.
Fortunately for this group of thirteen, their friend Gist Blair ‘80 and two of his
classmates were tenants at Ivy Hall, a small building which still stands on
Mercer Street, a few steps from the campus.
Ivy Hall had been built in 1846 to house Princeton’s law school, but the
school was discontinued for lack of students.
An emergency meeting was convened, and this stalwart group of sixteen was
inspired by necessity to "buy a stove, hire a cook, and set up a table.” Blair obtained the blessing of their landlady, and soon the west front room of the building was home to
the Ivy Hall Eating Club.
They did not intend to create an institution that would survive
their college years. But the men of Ivy Hall had nonetheless put in place the
elements that would make their club much more like the eating clubs of the
twentieth century than the informal groups of old: the club was independently controlled and operated by and for the
members, who were responsible for its premises and services. Thus were sown the seeds
of the Prospect Avenue clubs we know today.
In the autumn of 1879, not all of the original members returned to
college. Fortuitously, the vacant east
room, and as Blair recalled, "a most attractive group ... willing to join” combined
as catalysts for the next Ivy section.
During the winter of 1879-1880, eleven men of the Class of 1881 walked
down Mercer Street and were served by Henry Campbell, Ivy’s first Steward,
at a long wooden table in the east room, joining, as new members of Ivy Hall,
the seniors who dined in the west room. The first permanent Princeton eating club was born.